<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, March 03, 2008

Some times a phrase is so over-used it is clearly not funny anymore (see: Meyer, Andrew, 2007 Don't tase me, bro). Other times, the line in question slowly loses it's comedic punch due to gradual overuse and/or diminution of the talent level of users. An example of the latter is stating that an item or action "made me puke in my mouth a little bit." I was never a huge fan of this line in the first place. Based on my experience, puking in your mouth a little bit is usually the result of a poorly executed burp, not caused by seeing something unpleasant.

So the key is to pick a line that is not especially popular, waiting for an opportunity where it is particularly germane, and not going to the well so often it loses it's poignancy. That is the fine line I have been trying to walk for many years with the line, "I was told there would be no math."

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?