<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, January 06, 2005

Do you remember the scene in Trading Places where Louis is trying to pawn his watch?
Fifty bucks? No, no, no. This is a Rouchefoucauld. The finest water-resistant watch in the world. Singularly unique, sculptured in design, hand-crafted in Switzerland and water resistant to three atmospheres. This is *the* sports watch of the '80s. Six thousand, nine hundred and fifty five dollars retail! It tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverley Hills, London, Paris, Rome and Gstaad.
Every time I see this movie I think to myself that I have no fricken idea where Gstaad is. Based on the other cities in that list, it should be important enough to have heard of, at least. Well I'm sure I was the only one with this knowledge gap, but for anyone else interested, it's in Switzerland, the country in which the watch was hand crafted.

By the way, looking that up was the oldest thing on my "To Do" list, having been on it since 1983.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?