<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, August 31, 2004

The other day I spent a few hours watching satellite TV in a nice leather chair while someone came around periodically to give me free non-alcoholic beverages and potato chips. The whole thing cost me $67 including tax -- not an egregious bill for New York City standards (although I did have to go to Queens).

What makes this experience noteworthy? The fact that at the end, I was no longer in Queens, but in South Florida. Yes I was on Jet Blue. How is it possible for them to take me to Florida for $67, when the cab ride to JFK airport was nearly $60? They're not using surplus Russian cargo planes powered with discarded restaurant cooking oil. As far as I could tell, the plane was not piloted remotely from some control room in Banglore (although I think my taxi was).

NO REALLY!

Jet Blue flies Airbus 320 aircraft configured with 156 seats. Assuming the plane was 75% full (the two seats next to me were empty) and each passenger paid $70, they made about $8,190 on that flight (reasonable I think, since a lot of my $67 ticket was taxes).

These planes have a fuel capacity of 23,860 liters, or about 6,300 gallons of jet fuel. At last week's spot price of $1.30 per gallon of fuel, the cost to fill the tank on that puppy would be about $8,190.

The revenue on that flight was about enough to fill the tank up. I didn't even pick those numbers so that they would add up to the same amount, they just did. Considering the airline claims to be making money, I guess we can assume that my assumptions are completely wrong, or my math. Either way, I'm not feeling too well about this.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?